GES1041 - Everyday Ethics in Singapore Review

Taken in: AY21/22 Semester 1

Lecturer and tutor: Chin Chuan Fei / Daryl Ooi

Grading: 

  • 20% Quiz x4
  • 20% Journal entry x4
  • 10% Group report
  • 20% Group presentation
  • 30% Finals

This review is way overdue since I actually took it last semester but I have nothing but praises to sing for this module! Dr Chin has a really soothing voice (My friends and I often joked that he always sounds like he's recording a podcast) and it turns out that by chance, the other tutor for this module was my teacher from secondary school (he's now taking a PhD with NUS, not sure if he's still the tutor but he's a great teacher, definitely recommend taking a class under him!). If you can't afford (or lack) the patience to wait to bid for that one GES the whole school bids for because it's CS/CU, this is a great alternative to take. In fact I would even say that it doesn't take much to score an A for this - the concepts may seem a little obscure in the first few weeks but the examples Dr Chin shows and the discussions in class help clarify any questions you may have pretty well. 

Every week, we alternate between taking a short quiz (about 5 questions) and writing a short ~500 word or so (Don't quote me on this, I can't really remember) journal entry. I enjoyed writing the journal entries - try to reflect deeply and apply the concepts to everyday scenarios you've witnessed in your life. I find that adding that flair of personal touch really helps to secure full marks. 

I lucked out with having a good group for this project - we did our project on the payout difference between Olympians and Paralympians. My groupmates really made this mod all the more enjoyable because tutorials were fun and we could discuss our quizzes together alongside our group project. All in all, this is a great module to take. Workload is light and content is manageable, nothing super hard as long as you make sure to read the readings properly to understand the nuances Dr Chin tries to get us to pay attention to. As for any FASS module - in order to elevate any commentary to the next level, try to actively include concepts taught in your analysis (whether for the group project or journal entries). 

Expected grade: I don't remember actually it's been too long... but I think A since I did decently for most of the components

Actual grade: A

Reviewed by: M

Comments

  1. Hi, was a lot of effort required to achieve the A grade?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LAK1201 - Korean 1 Review

CS2113/T - Software Engineering & Object Oriented Programming Review